Pages

Monday, June 4, 2012

Brewday - "Impromptu Red"

Notes
My 20th All Grain batch!  The Red Ale style is my wife's fav and I love american hops.  This brew was totally impromptu.  While my wife was watching some prime-time cheese on the tube, I decided to fire up the strike water, 4hrs later I had another batch in the primary.  Dry-hopping will depend on the availability of a carboy.

American Amber/Red Ale (10B)
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Fermentis Safale S-04
Yeast Starter: Nope
Additional Yeast: Re-pitch (cake from Wheat on Rye)
Batch Size (Post Boil)24L
Original Gravity: 1.051
Final Gravity: 1.013 (est)
IBU: 34
Boiling Time (Minutes): 65
Colour (SRM): 12 (est)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 @ 65-68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): TBD
Conditioning [Bottle] (# of Days & Temp): 21'ish @ 65-68F

Ingredients
81.0% Canadian 2-Row (OiO)
18.0% Crystal 110 (Muntons)
01.0% Roast Barley (Muntons)
35.5 IBU Summit (17g @ 60 min)
28.0 grams Cascade @ 5 min
28.0 grams Cascade Dry-hop (10 days)

Water (City tap water treated with Campden)
Gypsum, Calcium Chloride and Epsom Salt added, pH 5.43
Ca-93/Mg-15/Na-18/Cl-105/S04-147


Mash Instructions
Single Infusion, 60 minutes (154F), 1.25qt/lb
Double batch sparge (170F), collected ~27.6L into the boil kettle


2 comments:

  1. Since I had split the Wheat on Rye between two carboys, now that high Krausen has fallen, I racked and combined the two carboys to one. Once complete, the empty Wheat on Rye carboy had a nice S04 yeast cake. Rather then going with the planned US-05 dry yeast, I decided to rack Number 20 American Red onto the cake. This was complete last night around 10pm. As expected, this morning the beer was rocking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeast quit at 1.018. I've added 4L of boiled and cooled water to bring down the FG. While the water water cooling, I added 40g of hops (Cascade and Galaxy). I hop this "hop tea" will up the bitterness a touch and help to balance out the beer as it's too sweet for the time being.

    ReplyDelete