Pages

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Update - BSB 2012 IPA, #20 (Impromptu) American Red, 77 Ringwood Stout

After a long weekend of camping, I arrived home to find my beer in need of some attention.

The BSB2012 IPA (100% Centennial) had been sitting on dry hops for 13 days, I wanted to get this into the bottle asap as I put a serious dent in the "The Drama" stock on Canada Day.  Near 20 Litres of Centennial goodness went into the bottle.  Looking for a carb around 2.4 vols/Co2.

Next up was my "#20 Impromptu, American Red Ale".  If you recall, the S04 has crapped out around 1.018 on account of near 20% crystal malt and a high mash temp.  To counter-act the sweetness, I racked to secondary on top of a 4 Litre Cascade hop tea.  11 days it sat, the results were a more pleasing 1.014. This also left me with about 24L into the bottle.  Again, 2.4 vols was the carbonation target.


Finally, I would have liked to bottle my 77 Ringwood Stout but damn if I didn't find myself completely out of Bottle caps, Bottles and Priming sugar!  I opted to move this off the primary cake (22 days) and into a secondary for further condition.  One item of note, man did this yeast cake look funny.  The consistency was like nothing I've ever seen.  Very chunky!  I hope it's not infected!  We'll see if anything pops up in the secondary.




No comments:

Post a Comment